A Calaverita Poem (better known just as Calaveritas) is the Mexican tradition of writing a satirical poem about friends, family and pretty much anyone in a verse in order to make fun of them and the death.
Additionally, this tradition is part of the Day of the Dead celebration and can be added as part of the Ofrenda.
- Written as verses.
- Make fun of people.
- The main character is described as it was dead or about to be.
- Contains images of skulls.
How to write your Calaverita?
- Choose your subject. It can be family members, friends, public figures, etc.
- Think about something that you know that person does a lot and you want to make fun of it. ( for example, sleep all day, play all day with their phones, etc)
- Write about that action and how because of that now is dead or is going to be soon.
- Have fun!!
The main idea it’s to have fund and Calaveritas don’t have to be perfect.