A Calaverita Poem (better known just as Calaveritas) is a Mexican tradition of writing a satirical poem about friends, family and pretty much anyone in a verse to make fun of them and the death.
This tradition is part of the Day of the Dead celebration and can be added as part of the ofrenda.
- Written as verses.
- Make fun of people.
- The main character is portrayed as it was dead.
- Contains images of skulls.
How to write your Calaverita?
- Choose your subject. It can be family members, friends, public figures, etc.
- Think about something that you know that person does a lot and you want to make fun of it. ( for example, sleep all day, play all day with their phones, etc)
- Write about that action that your character does and how because of that now is dead or is going to be soon.
- Have fun!!
Calaveritas could be a little bit hard to write but remember that it doesn’t have to be perfect, it just needs to be funny and rules are meant to be broken.